Replacing F axle connections

dimanche 30 mars 2014

I'm putting the questions first, then the explanation in the hope of getting answers from those that don't like reading long posts. :p. All questions pertain to my all stock (I think) 2006 Unlimited Rubicon.



1 : Is it correct that the upper control arm bushings are the same on frame and axle end?



2 : For the stock style bushings, are there any manufacturers I should look for or stay away from?



3 : Are there any known points I can measure to double check that I am at stock height? It all looks stock to me except the front coil isolator (I think I have seen it called that) is 2.5 inches think. It just seems big. If it is high enough over stock to run the Currie Correctlink I would go like to go that route.



4 : Any manufacturers of stock style steering that you would recommend to use or not use?



5 : Any manufacturers of stock length track bar that you would recommend to use or not use?



History -



Purchased my 06 Unlimited Rubicon with 93K miles and bald tires. Had to drive it for a few days with the bald Wrangler MTRs before having them replaced. During that time I noticed an occasional slight shimmy in the steering after hitting bumps. When new tires were put on, the shimmy went away.



The whole time I have owned it there has been a slight vibration reverberation when hitting large bumps. It almost feels like hitting large bumps in a truck with a loose load in the back, except the noise and feeling comes from the front. On a couple of occasions I have been underneath and pushed, pulled, and shook with all my might on all the connections to the front axle, ie control arms and steering components and found nothing that seemed anything less than rock solid. When replacing my RMS I poked and prodded at the motor mounts and they seemed fine (honestly don't know how to properly check them) and checked the trans mount since I dropped the skid plate to get the exhaust out of my way. It to seemed fine.



Now to my problem.



The shimmy when hitting some bumps has returned. When I noticed a slight shimmy a couple times in a month, I rotated the tires, but it has continued and is getting worse. I've once again climbed under the rig and done the push pull shake shimmy to no avail. Did the dry steering test and it seems like both ends of the drag link have slight up and down movement when changing direction. Two other people looking at it said they didn't see it, but I could swear I saw some slight movement, that is why I say "seems like".



To sum everything up and ask a few questions, I am thinking of changing out all the stock front control arm bushings, the track bar, and replacing the drag link and tie rod. Yes, its kind of a bazooka approach but I'm hoping that will put an end to the bump reverberations and the steering shimmy in one fell swoop which with my limited free time is what I need. I'm thinking of getting the HD Crown steering setup but wouldn't be adverse to just buying a stock type drag arm and a ZJ tie rod from another manufacturer if I know which ones had decent quality. The Jeep is stock, so most upgrade components either won't work at stock height (currie correct link, aftermarket track bars) or simply are too much coin (arms with JJs). So...



Thanks for your time.



Matt




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor