93 NP249 shift linkage issues

dimanche 30 mars 2014

I've posted this question before but its been several years ago. I'm hoping for some new insight, maybe someone here these days can help because there wasn't much help available last time. I can't believe I'm the only early ZJ owner on the forum to experience this issue....



The shift linkage for the 4wd option is supported by a cross pin which is mounted on one side by a bracket attached to the frame and on the other side it slips into a hole in the trans case. This pin continues to fall out of the trans hole, rendering my 4x4 shift lever useless. It has been suggested that my engine or trans mounts are bad, allowing enough movement of the trans that the pin falls out. I don't think this is the cause of the issue for two reasons. One, when inspecting movement of the engine/trans using various methods, there doesn't appear to be any excessive movement that would indicate faulty mounts. Secondly, if I replace the cross pin back into the trans hole where it belongs, it will stay there indefinately until I attempt to put the trans case into 4 low. I can get it into 4 low but only once or twice until the pin works loose and falls out again.



We all know this was a crappy design but I don't see anyone else doing much complaining about this issue. So, anyone have any ideas? What's causing this and what's the fix? Thanks for any advice!




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor