1974 CJ5 Newbie

jeudi 23 octobre 2014

Good Morning Jeep Fanatics -

The name is JP, and my dad just gifted me with a 1974 CJ5 that he bought off of ebay last year.



Here are some disclaimers about me:

Totally new to tinkering and modifications. I have 2 little boys who want to start turning wrenches and learning. I too have ambitions of doing the same. I grew up watching my father work on vehicles, but, sadly, I never took much interest, until now that is...



So, like any person who has interest and true grit, I pulled the beast into the garage tonight, lifted the hood and started looking for common wear and tear issues.



1st Issue spotted



When we drove the jeep today, the temperature gauge went to HOT pretty quickly. But, the fuel gauge was also acting funny/not accurate. We decided to not push it so we let it cool down. However, after letting it cool down for about 2 hours, we started it back up. The radiator and engine were cool to the touch, yet the thermostat was still showing hot??? When I turn the keys over to battery, the gauges aren't working, it seems. When I start it up the gauge goes to H - immediately.



OVERHEATING? or BAD GAUGE?

Hoses are beat to hell and showing their age. Specifically the hose from the radiator to the engine block where the thermostat is housed. I pulled that stubborn SOB off tonight and drained the coolant. I also thought that perhaps the thermostat may have been sticking? I have heard that term before. Not sure what that means other than by "sticking" it can fool the gauge to thinking its Hot? <---- HELP HERE



I have the hoses and thermostat pulled off the radiator and engine. I was planning on taking them to AutoZone tomorrow to see if they could help me source the parts at their store. When I went there last night and gave them my year and model, there were 3 options I believe in engine size, none of which are mine. My engine is, as far as I can tell, not one of the listed engines. The desk assistant said "Oh, well, you are going to need to know what engine you have so that we can get you the right part, or you will need to pull the thermostat"



ISSUE: What if the the thermostat that is in there is wrong to begin with? Shouldn't I know what engine I have to be certain?



Herein lies my other issue:

I dont know what type of engine I have. The last guy that worked on it stated that it was a 307. I can tell you it sounds like a dragster when it starts up - LOUD/STRONG/AGGRESSIVE



I imagine that an engine swap occurred when in the hands of the previous owner, to which I have no contact.



ENGINE QUESTION:

How the heck do I identify what engine I have, so that I can start getting the correct parts?



Thanks so much. I look forward to chatting with you all and sharing my progress and I bury myself inside the Jeep lifestyle.



-JP-

:2thumbsup:




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor