4lo makes whining sound

mercredi 29 octobre 2014

Its my first post on this forum. I've been looking for a Grand for a little while now and have really benefited from the massive amounts of knowledge on this forum. It's an amazing resource and i just wanted to thank all you who have contributed.



I've a particular question of my own to ask and i'm hoping i can again call on your assistance to help me out of a bit of a jam.



As i said, i've been looking for a WJ, my first Jeep. Actually it'll be my first 4wd. Looking for something stock that i can build into a reasonable off-roader over the years. I've got a very strict criteria and am really only considering the very best examples i can find. I've got a checksheet that's 5 pages long so not many cars i've seen have made the grade.



I've found an Overland that came up sparlkingly well on my inspection and i was very happy with it. It's an '05, MY04, it has 137,000kms on the clock. I had a mechanic look it over for me, but the vehicle is located in a country area and as Jeeps are pretty uncommon in Aus and seen as a soccer mum's luxury bus, i don't think he's seen too many of them.



He picked up a high pitch whine when the car is in 4Lo and diagnosed it as probably needing a transfer case rebuild. There's no such noise in 4Hi. He said he thought the bearings were shot and if he had to guess, he'd say it would've been caused by a very large boat being towed up and down landing ramps.



Now, when i drove the car myself, i noticed the whine. It wasn't loud, but it was there, and i haven't noticed it on any other Overland i've driven, though i've only tested 2 others.



So i told the seller and he took it to his mechanic to check out. His guy looked at it and said it was fine, there's no problem. The guy working on it used to work for a Jeep dealer in the city so he should know. They said that noise i'm hearing is normal. I'll call them tomorrow to hear it from the horses mouth.



The car has been owned by the just the seller and his dad before him who bought it new so it has a known history. They say it's never been off-road and the undercarriage tells the same story. They've both towed boats with it, but nothing near the size suggested by my mechanic.



The car is immaculate! From the interior and exterior, you'd pass it easily for a 2 year old car. There's no other mechanical issue, all the gadgets work perfectly, this car really has been looked after.



My question.... Am i being paranoid?? If the owner's story of the car's history is true, then i can't see how the transfer case would need a rebuild if the thing has only seen 4Lo for no more than a few minutes in it's entire life. Can you guys confirm that 4Lo does have a bit of a whine to it?



On the other side, i'm paying over 10 grand for a car that i intend to keep running for another 10 years if possible. I really want the best i can find and don't want to find myself with something that will just give me headaches.



I know it's a hard one, but any thoughts would be very welcome. Cheers.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor