Advice welcome: Oil in Air Cleaner; Cylinder 5 low compression

lundi 30 mars 2015

This post is actually on my 88 "Wrongler", but since the carb'd 4.2 is so much more prevalent in the CJ's (and this is where I like to hang out), I felt this would be a good place to ask.



Around 15 years ago I put an Autozone remanufactured engine in the Wrangler. Engine was reman'd by a company called Recon. I have roughly 50k on this motor, and about a year ago I started noticing oil in the air cleaner along with leaking valve cover gaskets, oil pan, rms, etc. At first I suspected a faulty PCV system, so I replaced the valve, and checked the plumbing and all was good. When that didn't help, I checked for vac leaks and again, all good, but still oil in the cleaner. After reading up on this site I knew my next step was a compression test. So FINALLY this weekend I wasn't busy tinkering with any of the other Heeps, and decided to pull the plugs and test. I noticed a cold plug on #5, and sure enough, when I tested compression, all cylinders were around 122-128 but #5 was 60!!! Now, I had also read that the next step is to pour a little oil on top of that piston and see if it raises the number up to confirm bad rings. Guess what Mr Brilliant forgot to do before putting new plugs in and closing the hood? Yep! Didn't try that test.



With that being said, I do plan on pulling all of the plugs again and seeing if the number goes up on 5 with a little oil in the cylinder.



A couple of questions:



-How is this engine even running worth a hoot with that low of compression on that one cylinder? It idles wonderfully.



-If it is the rings on this cylinder, what is the best option? Tear it down and re-ring that one cylinder, or is it time for a full rebuild?



Fuel economy is horrific. My gearing is bad, but it was at around 12mpg and has since dropped to around 8-9 mpg mixed use. I see NO SMOKE from the tailpipe.



The sick thing is that I'm sitting around licking my chops thinking of a plopping a nice stroker in this puppy :rofl:, but that's just silly. This rig is one of my primary hunting vehicles, so I'm not looking for raw horsepower, just reliability.



I'm open for all thoughts! Thanks!!



Pearsall




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor