258 cam and crank timing marks not aligning?

jeudi 20 novembre 2014

I've been away for sometime, but before I had to head away I was in the process of replacing my timing chain on my 78' 258. I'm replacing it as it has been knocking on the cover due to the amount of stretch/slack.

Prior to the chain being replaced the wagon was running, albeit a little rough with a definite miss and ticking coming from #6.

New timing kit is waiting to be installed.



My problem is that when the crank sprocket timing mark is inline with both fixing bolts of the cam and crank sprocket the cam timing mark is at 1 o'clock see attached photo (i'm hoping it was attached). I accidentally rotated the crank with spanner when chain was off prior to going away then forgetting about on return.



What is the procedure to get the marks to align as stated in previous threads when replacing the chain?

Is it as simple as rotate (cw)the crank until the cam mark is in correct location and then remove chain and then rotate the crank (cw) until both marks are looking at each other inline with the fixing bolts? Then replace with new timing kit.



Is it correct that the 258 is a non interference engine, therefore rotating the crank without rotating the cam, there will be no crushed valves/pistons?



Thanks heaps




Attached Images





File Type: jpg timing chain timing marks.JPG (41.5 KB)






0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor