Spartan locker in the front and open diff in rear?

vendredi 28 novembre 2014

I asked about this briefly in another thread I had on some axles I'm working on, and did get some replies, but I'm asking for some more input so I can make my final decision.



I've got the Dana 30 regeared, and all parts ready to go back on, so now's the time to decide if I want to install the Spartan locker in the front. I found a brand new in the box Spartan recently, but after looking thru the net, I'm finding alot of different answers on this. I've read people saying definitely not to do it, and others saying once you get used to it, it works great. I guess I was thinking I used 4wd alot more last winter than I really did, but the only time I'd really have it in 4HI is if the snow gets high, or when I take my kids for some runs through the mud. So if I do have it in 4HI, I'll be driving pretty slow as street conditions warrant. The majority of the time, I'll be in 2HI, and only go to 4HI if I get stuck or do a little off road like I mentioned. I see the locker as an "insurance policy" if I do run off the road and can't get out while in 2WD.



I get the point that I shouldn't have it in 4HI just driving a normal drive in the light snow/ ice.

I know at times I'll hear the clatter from the front, and that if I get on the gas in a turn, and a wheel slips, it will kick in causing the Jeep to continue forward in the direction of the slide or it could become a little squirrely.

It'll never be driven on a major highway, and will not be at high speeds while in 4HI.

Basically I'll only use 4wd if I'm in the ditch or off in the mud somewhere having some fun.



I read another site where the guy tried to explain how its better to have an open diff when one front wheel starts spinning, because if the locker kicks in, and the wheels both lock, they'll both lose traction, and it takes something away from the power to the rear wheels? I got pretty lost on that explanation...



My plan is to keep the rear an open diff at this time since I can't afford a LSD, or any other upgrades. I did read some info that mentioned an auto locker in the front and any kind of LSD in the rear is a bad idea? So if I finally do go with something in the back, I'd have to remove the Spartan.



This will be my daily driver all year around, and I don't do any rock climbing, heavy off roading, etc. The only other variable in this is my Dana 300 is twin stick, so I don't know if that

would change any advice or not.



So basically I'm asking with the parameters I've listed above, is this worth throwing in or not?




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor