Sleeving an axle shaft groove

dimanche 23 novembre 2014

Thought I’d document an ongoing project. Pics are not necessarily taken in order.



I was hearing some grinding noises that ended up being worn ball joints. I replaced those with a set of Alloy USA joints. Went wheeling shortly after and had differential fluid leaking out of my axle tubes. Figured I must have broken the seal reinstalling the shaft.



I ordered a set of axle differential seals #5014852AB, some axle shaft guides #68017185AA, and a set of Alloy USA axle tube seals.



Pull the brakes, pull the shafts, pull the diff cover, and pull the differential. I ended up not needing a case spreader.



To get the old seals out – I used a 35mm socket with a few 12” extensions and a mallet. Put it down the axle tube and tap it out





I opted go with Lube Locker gaskets and an ARB dif cover. Scraped away the old RTV with a plastic scraper, then a razor blade, and finally a wire wheel brush.









Here I noticed that my axle shafts had developed a groove where the rubber seal rides on the axle shaft.







Nothing I could really do then (working at a buddy’s shop), so reassembled. Went wheeling the next week, diff fluid leaks out the tubes again.



At this point I believe the groove worn in the old axle is causing a poor seal with the new axle oil seals I installed. I pull everything apart again, measure, and order a speedie-sleeve SKF 99131. Pick up a piece of PVC pipe to use to seal the sleeve as the included seater has a solid top that will not work on an axle shaft.



Pull diff apart again, as I am removing the carrier & ring gear the seals I had installed fell out. Realize I forgot to wipe a dab of RTV on the seals as I was installing them in the housing.



I managed to break the plastic actuator plug allowing the e-locker wire to pass through the axle housing. Ordered new actuator plug #68003570AA. Pulled the shafts off the unit bearings, in so doing I damaged the passenger side unit bearing so that the ABS sensor wont fit back in the. Ordered Timken replacement #HA590242.



That’s where it stands now. Unsure if I should continue sleeving the shafts, or run it with the seals RTV’ed in place and see what happens. Pulling the shafts is a pain.



Worryingly, when I pulled the cover today there was a fair amount of metal shavings on the drain magnets for only a few week’s running time.





0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor