Now it wont start....

samedi 18 octobre 2014

Ok. I have a 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport. I rebuilt the motor and had it up and running about 6 months ago. I have changed the oil twice since the rebuild, probably around 4,000 miles on the new motor. Everything was running well until around two or three months ago, and last week she stopped all together.



After the rebuild the check engine light came on immediately, I read the code and it said it was an "Evap emission leak (small.)" I searched for any leak I could and was unable to locate any hoses or leaks, I assumed it was the gas cap. Replaced that and the light went out for a while. Then a few days later it was back on. I haven't been able to keep that light off or find a leak.



The first runability problem was that it would begin to stumble at highway speed. It would do it once or twice and then be fine. This happened a couple of different times.



The next thing that happened was that the engine would completely cut out and the jeep would stop running. I would pull over and the open the hood and it seemed like the engine bay was hotter than what I thought was normal (it was summer in Arkansas) so I simply thought that was the reason. Within a few minutes the Jeep would fire up and would run fine.



This continued to happen and it seemed for a while that it would only happen when it was very hot. (The oil pressure was in the normal range and so was the water temp gauge) The only difference is the more frequently this occurred, the longer it would take before it would restart and stay running.



Most recently, I started it up and drove it to the store (maybe 4 miles from home) and the motor cut off. I ended up towing it back to my house with my truck because I could never get it to restart.



I continued to try to get it to fire up over the subsequent weeks and it would occasionally "fire up" but it would not run, it would stumble so bad that it seemed to be only running on 2 or 3 cylinders then it would cough through the intake and shut down.



I first thought that maybe the coil packs were going out or maybe one or two of them had. I pulled the bar with the coil packs off and pulled all the spark plugs. They had black soot on them which was easy to clean off. I re-gapped them and put them back in the jeep. I also purchased a new set of coil packs (the bar) and replaced it. It will now crank and act link it wants to start, but the best I can get out of it is that it acts like it is running on two cylinders and the coughs/backfires through the throttle body and shuts off.



I can hear the fuel pump come on when I turn the key. I cannot figure out why it will not run. The whole series of events seems weird.



If anyone can give me some ideas where to start I would be extremely grateful!



Thanks.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor