Review - JK Dual Mount Assembly (JKDMA)

samedi 31 mai 2014

Rating

  • Purchase experience: As soon as John received my order, he placed an international call to confirm my "non-confirmed" address and make sure the included accessories would meet my needs.

  • Delivery time: It arrived to my father's address in GA quicker than I could drive there shortly after placing order... OK it was a ~1600 mile drive with an infant in tote.

  • Packaging: Excellent

  • Documentation: For such a simple install, he really made it monkey-proof with included instructions, parts list, and personalized cover letter (something you don't see anymore).

  • Price: No complaints, just total up the value of the Ram Mount accessories, included hardware, and the mount itself doesn't cost much at all.




Overall score: 5 out of 5 - Thank you John!



Background

After picking WAY too many horrible lines in rocks, sacrificing my undercarriage and delaying the groups I was in for the sake of keeping video in frame I started using my Joby Gorilla Pod SLR Zoom with ball head mount on the OS bar. Not ideal, but it did the trick and kept my eyes on the trail rather than the viewfinder of my camera.



Then one day, I stumbled across a post in this forum where someone had two devices mounted on Ram Mounts in the centre dash tray. Intrigued, I began searching for the pictures at a later date to no avail... until by fluke I noticed 1222's signature.



Also, I wanted to get something that allowed me to mount two things, my camera on a standard tripod stud and my Note 3 so I could use the clinometers in Torque while displaying my oil/coolant temperature courtesy a Bluetooth ODB2 port reader. This also gives me the option of using the Note 3 for video with basically unlimited power supply if my compact camera's card fills up or the batteries die.



The Product

JK Dual Mount Assembly (JKDMA) - fits 2011-2014 JK's



Quick low down

Deletes the rather useless silicone tray, and replaces it with a texturized powder coated aluminium plate with two Ram Mount balls, holes and grommet provisions for cable management, and simply screws in using the factory screw that is already there. Very sturdy platform and installation is simple as long as you know how to use a small screwdriver/ratchet and socket Or wrench.



The competition

Right as I ordered this, my friend picked up a Daystar Upper Dash Panel which he thought used 1" Ram Mount balls but instead uses those little GPS ones that are not very sturdy. This drove him to a dollar store to pick-up a ball he could modify to use with all the Ram Mount accessories he had for his GoPro. One look at mine, and all the RAM Mount bits it came with, and he concluded he would be ordering one as well. Since then, his modified ball has since cracked on him. I will try to get my hands on his original mount so you can see what I am writing about.



Impressions

This thing rocks! Well technically it doesn't because it is very sturdy. The X-Grip IV for my bulky phone does vibrate a little but that's a fault of the springs in the grip and not the JKDMA. I only know this because the accelerometer in the phone makes my pitch and roll values in Torque tell me it's picking up something, probably my engine vibration. No impact on video, actually the only thing that really affects video is sometimes I'll get a wavy result but that's from having the defrost cranked.



Enough words, let's see pictures!



Unboxing





Old setup





Installed result





Camera + Smartphone





Zeroed in





Some angle - To date my basically stock JKUR kept all 4 on the ground at 33 roll and 20 pitch.





Enough stills, let's see some video, in the rocks!



Panasonic TS3 footage visible in Part 1 and before 5:39 mark in Part 2 while Samsung Galaxy Note 3 footage kicks in around 5:43 in Video 2. If you are patient, there are POV clips of me driving around on the trail and in the rocks... not just parked and filming others. Oh, if you cannot view it on portable device, try logging out of YouTube and using the browser to circumvent the content blocking due to the 3rd party music I added.









NOTE: I think I have POV footage of me fumbling my way through the original install because of holding a camera in my mouth and not being able to see my display. If I locate that, as well as some pictures of my friend's Daystar mount, I'll update this topic.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor