4.0l Computer Compatability

mercredi 28 mai 2014

Hello! I have been a forum stalker for a little while, and am to the point I need some help with my specific issue. The people here seem very helpful and I am excited to be part of the community!



First off, I am on a budget. As in ramen noodles. :)

I have a CJ7 that came with the 4.2L engine. The Jeep has personality, and I like it, but I have found coolant in the oil. What better time to do an engine swap!? I have read about several ways to get more power out of the beast, and am aware it is more about low end torque than overall HP, So I chose to stay with an I6 engine, but now I am at my crossroads. I have a 1995 4.0L out of an automatic Grand Cherokee in my garage that I picked up for $125, and am told I can:

A. Put it in as-is

B. Swap the head onto the 4.2L

C. Swap the crank from the 4.2L into the 4.0L



I feel that I am capable of doing any of these things, but some insight would be great at this point. Many of the builds involving the head swap are old and either disappeared, or are missing important pictures. I have read there are water jackets that need to be plugged and I am concerned about issues with the ignition system, and really don't have the money to buy a special computer. The crank swap actually seems the most appealing to me. It would be nice to have the fresher motor and not have to worry about some compatibility issues (Though I hear there are a few modifications that must be made to accommodate the crank sensor).



The next question I have involves the computer and wiring. The engine was in an auto and the computer was already gone when I got to it, so which computers will work? Can I get a computer out of a similar year wrangler or Cherokee with a manual? They all seem to have different model numbers, and even in the same year there are a couple different ones for just a manual! I have most of the under-hood wire harness and would like to strip out the unnecessary crap and use it if possible. This is the thing that has me the most worried.



I have searched the general internet and this forum as best as I could, but I didn't find anything that answers my specific question about the computer and wiring. Thank you for your help!




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor