ZJ overheating query.

dimanche 28 septembre 2014

Yep, I know, nothing new here. Question has been asked before. I've searched, I've looked and I'm still puzzled!

Purchased a "new" '97 ZJ recently. Low mileage for Australia; 185,000 kms or about 115,000 miles. Quickly put another 5000 miles on it, no problems. All of a sudden, it started dumping all the water out of the over flow tank. You stop, a few minutes later, the flood begins. Being a pessimist, I headed for the local service station where they attached a device full of blue solution to the radiator filler. It stayed blue, so they reckon it's not a head gasket.

I pulled the thermostat out, stuck it in a saucepan full of water with a thermometer and a new thermostat. Both start to open at 195°F.

I've pulled the radiator out, and whilst I haven't pulled the tanks off, it looks very clean and new. I've taken the water pump off, same story. Both look like they've been recently replaced (Hmmm?). The fan, when hot, feels about right.

The coolant that came out seemed a happy green colour, no traces of oil or anything. The problem seems to be associated to the temperature of the day, worse in the middle of the day. Doesn't seem severe travelling at speed but the gauge goes up if you stop and sit idling after driving. My only remaining thought is a cracked head, only opens at the right temperature, but surely it would cause problems during high speed driving, which is quite high load for the engine?




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor