Drivetrain Dilemma; T18 or T19?

lundi 17 mars 2014

So here's my dilemma. I built a CJ8 last summer with a warmed over 304, T150, D20 and AMC/D30 axles with 3.54 gears. Currently runs on an old set of 36" Buckshot Mudders. Obviously axle gears are too high for the tires and current transmission but I had always planned to do a trans swap down the road. Since building the Scrambler, I picked up a Ford T18 with 6.32 1st gear with the intent to swap it in along with a rebuilt D20 t-case with 3.15 TeraLow gears installed - very similar to the drivetain in my CJ5. I also planned to swap axle gears to 4.10s at some point. Last week I acquired a Ford T19 with a 4.02 1st gear for a future truck build mated to a 7.3L diesel.



The new to me T19 trans gear ratios got me thinking - if I install the T19 in the CJ8 I could actually use the lower (and synchronized) 1st gear on the road and forego the axle gear swap. Overall 4th gear ratio with the 36s on the highway would workout to something a little more than stock geared 4th but less than an overdrive gear. Further, off road overall gear reduction will still be better than stock with the TeraLow 3.15 low range gears.



As far as costs go, I have to buy the T18/T19 adapter regardless at about $550, and the TeraLow gearset at about $900. If I don't swap out axle gears I can save myself about $600 in axle gears and installation parts (will do it myself). Overall crawl ratios between the two setups are: 81.6:1 (6.32 T18 1st gear, 3.15 TeraLow low range, 4.10 axles) and 44.8:1 (4.02 T19 1st gear, 3.15 TeraLow low range and 3.54 axles). Both are significantly better than the stock overall crawl ratio of 21.2:1 with the T150 and stock D20 t-case.



Only other cost would be for the T19 rebuild kit at about $190. T18 was already rebuilt. 7.3L-powered truck build is still in the conceptual phase (I can see it in my head) so the trans is not a concern at this point (I also have a stand-alone controlled E4OD AT trans for it).



Thoughts T18 vs T19 for my application? Oh, and we mostly wheel on East Coast rocks and roots and in mud. As always, appreciate your thoughts.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor