Hood Lift Struts - My take on the Mod

jeudi 20 mars 2014

I hate the stupid hood prop rod... actually hate any of them...:thumbdown:



I read a few threads about adding hood lift struts that others had done. I liked the mod but didn't like how some of the parts sourcing was either used take off parts or contained links to sites that weren't live. I then saw a kit that ran an affordable $70.00 depending on the site you got it from, but that one I didn't like because it was designed to "push up" the hood from the center. I wanted to make it more conventional and push up at the hinge point.



Here is my solution. First of all based on other threads I determined that a strut with an expanded length of about 20" would work. It needed at a minimum a 50lb lift. I also know and read that severe cold can affect these so in cold climates a stonger lift is needed. I went with a 90lb. I found a good and affordable site that simply specializes in lift supports. Here is the link:



http://ift.tt/1ge47Tf



They have all sorts of hardware and lifts.... These are the parts I purchased.



2 Lift Supports #SE197PA90M10/60116M10 @ $18.90 each







4 Two Hole ball socket L brackets #H00115B @ $3.99 each



I also got some additional hardware from the local auto parts store....



2 10mm flange nuts with self locking ribs



2 #10 hex head self drilling stainless steel screws, 1/2"



4 #10 hex head self drilling stainless steel screws, 3/4"



Duplicolor spray paint for color match



I also used a can of Rustoleum White I had lying around.



Tools.... 5/16" metal drill bit.

5/16" hex driver bit

12MM socket

wire brush





First, prop up your hood securely with something long enough to open it wide enough to work... My long @ss level worked great... (Please excuse my messy garage...will spring clean soon!)







Remove the upper hood hinge nuts, only the uppers! Don't actually take the hood off! Be careful of the washer hose on the one side. I also used touch up paint to paint the washer mark left from taking off the nut.







Now you will need to drill out the upper hole on two of the brackets so they will fit over the stud on the hinge. Use a 5/16" drill bit and be careful that you drill out the correct hole for the left and right. Check twice before drilling. I messed up on one of the brackets and had to order another. Ooops...



Now is a good time to explain why I used the self drilling screws... Nothing more scary to me than drilling holes into something where the drill might bite and go to deep.. didn't want to hit any A/C lines that run under the front fender lip nor did I want to slip up and end up drilling up through the top of my hood. These are safe. You just need to get them started and remember that once they drill through, to back off the drill speed so you don't strip them.



OK, back to the set up. Once you have the brackets drilled out, now would be the time to paint them if you wish. The ones I bought were black. I painted them white first to create a light primer, then painted them a fairly close color match. It isn't perfect, but fine in my eyes for under the hood.



Once painted I took the uppers and bolted them down to the hood. (I also painted the nuts). Then take the little 1/2" self drilling screws and mount them in the lower holes.







Now go ahead and mount the strut to the bracket on the hinge on the large side. Let it hang there.







Position the lower bracket just in front of the fender mounting tab as shown, and attach it with two self drilling 3/4" screws. Don't worry about the lines, these are short enough that they won't hit.







I used the fender mounting tab as a reference so I was sure to put both sides in the same place..without having to worry that I measured wrong...:hahaha:











Then all you do is take out the prop rod you were using and snap on the lifts. Easy as that. Here are some more pictures of the finished product....











Please let me know if you have any questions... :tea:




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor