New-found stiffness gives me the confidence I was missing!

mardi 18 mars 2014

I bought my Jeep (2010, 5.7L, QD2, Limited) with 69,5XX miles on it a few weeks back. I don't know the FULL maintenance history, but have been going through it bit by bit catching it up. The tech that worked on it has told me that it likely never left the pavement, and I agree. So far, I had done:



-New serpentine belt (squeaking)

-New transmission fluid

-New T-case and Diff fluid

-New air filter

-New spark plugs

-F1 Ceramic Tint to front windows to match rear

-and today....Shocks/Struts!





I have previously pretty much only owned sports cars. I have been spoiled by very responsive steering, and minimal roll in corners, and flat acceleration/deceleration vehicle body movements. With this Jeep, it seemed VERY floaty. Scary, even. Also, when going over things like railroad tracks, I could hear the tires hitting/lifting more than they should.



I contacted Kolak on this board, and we spoke via PM, as well as phone. He was polite, and very knowledgeable/helpful. I purchased 4 isolators and shocks and struts from him. Bilstein 4600 series. I got a great deal! (shameless plug for Kolak. He's G2G!)



The dealership got everything installed today, and it looks solid...except they re-used my factory isolators on one side. Kindof irritated, there, but hey, they honestly were in good shape and I have no NVH from it, so...I'm not stressing too bad.



Anyway, on to the ride...





Slow bumps are a bit more annoying. Not much at all. But a bit. FAST bumps (hitting rail-road tracks faster than you should) are MUCH damped vs. the factory shocks and struts. This is because Bilstein uses digressive valving. What this means is that the faster an impact affects the unit, the SOFTER it is. Bumps hit fast/hard compared to brake/throttle/steer inputs. Way faster! This means that the things we DON'T want jostling the ride are much less likely to, and the inputs that we WANT to affect the orientation of the vehicle, are much more directly transmitted through it.



I was dubious at first, but it seems to work just like that. My cornering, braking, and acceleration is much flatter. I get a LOT LESS weight-shift if I trail-brake in a sweeping corner, and the front end is much more responsive on those slow 5mph light-just-turned-green right/left turns.



In short, this makes my Jeep feel about 500 pounds lighter, is about the analogy I can come up with. Solid product, great vendor. Thanks!





(See, I kept it PG all the way through, despite the title! :tea:)




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor