1998 XJ rough idle/jerkiness troubleshooting

mercredi 19 mars 2014

Hello all,



I have been scouring this forum trying to figure out what is going on with my wife's '98 Cherokee and as I tried different solutions and still have issues, figured it's time I ask for some help. Here's the story:



The Jeep had been parked for about 6 months, when we ran it, it was vibrating pretty bad and the CEL went on and we pulled a few codes (P0301, P0302) indicating misfires. We replaced the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, and the TPS. The CEL was still on, although the car was running far smoother. We pulled the codes and we got one for the thermostat been stuck open, so I replaced the thermostat (the old one came out in pieces). At this point, the CEL went off and the car was running smooth but it started making a loud clicking noise, and doing some research I suspected torque converter issues. Since that is not something I could do at my apartment's garage, I took it to the mechanic. Having had issues with mechanics before, I didn't tell them what I thought was wrong to see what they came up with. They also concluded that we needed a new torque converter and flexplate so they replaced it.



When we got the car back, the noises were gone and there was no CEL but when getting over 45mph, the car jerks mildly until you get over 55mph, and it idles rough. The CEL went on again and we got a P0171 code with the car guzzling gas and a smell of gas, so I replaced the MAP sensor. The CEL went off but came back on after I drove it in the highway today, and it still idles rough and jerks at 45mph and it seems to still be running rich.



So here's what I am considering as possibilities:

- More electronic/sensors issues (O2 sensor, for example) messing up with the fuel mix.

- Transmission control. The mechanic seems to not have done a good job, since the transfer case shifter got disconnected the day after we got the car back, and we found that the wire going from the throttle to the transmission was completely disconnected too. I reattached it, but it seems to have some slack to it, could this be causing this issues? I suspect this because when you are at a full stop and release the brake slightly to get the car moving a bit, the car does not drive smoothly, it jerks forward.

- Clogged catalytic converter.



Any advice or ideas would be very much appreciated.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor