New to me 2002 TJ has some issues, where would you begin???

jeudi 5 mars 2015

Hi,

Ive been doing a ton of research on this forum and have found it extremely helpful. I wanted to pick the brains of the jeep experts to see what order based on importance they would recommend I start tackling the problems

So a little history on the jeep. I have none. Bought it for a good price on craigslist with the assumption I would need to put some more money into it to get it up to speed. The PO says all he did was change the oil every 3k for the 3 years he's owned the jeep. He said he bought it with the lift already installed and that 2nd and 4th would always grind if he tried to shift too fast or basically didn't rev match when shifting. So I will list everything I know about this Jeep along with the issues Ive found and actions I plan to take based on the information Ive found on this and other forums and google searches. Ive budgeted around 2 grand for repairs and hope to accomplish a mechanically sound jeep for way less than that







The Jeep:

176,000 miles on the odometer which is probably less than actual miles due to the speedometer showing slower than actual travel

2002 Wrangler X edition TJ

5 speed manual NV3550 transmission

4.0 6 cyl engine

Dana 30 front Dana 35 rear with 3.07 gears

Skyjacker suspension lift (Not sure of the exact height, 4"??)

appears to be a 1" body lift

looks like a 1" transfer case drop (2 1" black bars between the skid plate and frame)

Not sure about Tire size ( Ill update when I get home tomorrow)







The Issues:

1. shifting from 1st to 2nd grinds unless I wait approx 2 seconds between gears

same with 3rd to 4th

Down shifting into 4th or 2nd is not possible without grinding or rev matching



2. After driving for about 20 min the clutch develops a bad shake or shudder when starting from a dead stop until the clutch is released into 1st. the only way I can kind of avoid it is to slip the clutch very very slowly while revving the engine to around 2300 rpm and even then it will shudder a bit. up hills is even worse. when its cold it starts out perfect from a stand still into first



3. It develops a vibration around 30+ mph that seems to stop when the clutch is pushed in but shakes when under acceleration or deceleration.



The plan

So after much reading I plan to do the following to hopefully remedy some of these issues. Ill list the plan of attack in the order I think it should be done and hope for feedback from you guys as to what else I should do or not do and in what order.



1 Change engine oil and filter. I bought full synthetic 10w30 but think I might return that as well for conventional oil and filter.



2 Change tranny fluid. I bought penzoil synchromesh but can return it if there is something better recommended by you guys



3 change transfer case fluid with ATF+4



4 change front and rear diff with lucas gear oil 85W90?



5 have tires checked for balance



6 check, lube, and replace all U joints



7 check and replace if needed transmission mount and motor mounts. ( should I go with the mount lift to level out drive shaft angle?)



7 considering taking jeep to AAMCO to have them diagnose shifting issue if changing the fluid, bleeding the clutch, removing the shifter boot, and checking for tub clearance doesn't fix the sync issues in 2nd and 4th.



8. Possibly install SYE and CV drive shaft, adj. rear upper control arms, and removing the transfer case drop if I can't resolve the vibration issue. would also change the TC chain and pick up tube O ring while in there.



9. should I change the gearing from 3.07 to something shorter? would that cause the shudder out of 1st when warmed up?



Sorry for the super long first post, Im looking forward to any input from you guys to guide me onto the right path. I am super excited to finally have a jeep and plan to use it for running around town and a lot of florida woods/swamp trail use.



Thanks!

Brian




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor