1999 Jeep Cherokee Clutch Issues

samedi 22 août 2015

Alright, here's the issue. My brother asked me to help him out with his jeep. He had the clutch replaced at a shop and ever since then he's been having issues. First of all, there was a squealing while the clutch pedal was pressed and a different squealing when it was depressed. I assume this was the throwout bearing and also the pilot bearing.

Next, and most importantly, the reason he asked for my help was because the clutch was not fulled disengaging when the pedal was depressed. The pedal had good resistance and felt good but he's thinking it's the slave cylinder so I replace it and also do the throwout bearing at the same time. Now it's squealing less but still squealing and it's still not fully disengaging the clutch. Also, the little plastic retainer on the slave cylinder didn't break like it's supposed to, indicating that the slave cylinder isn't fully extending. I'm not sure why that would be but yeah. Clutch isn't fully disengaging. I'm talking you can't even put it in reverse while the clutch pedal is depressed. The transmission and motor are still connected pretty well. You can shift into syncro'd gears but it's harder than it should be. Also when you take off the clutch was not smoothly engaging. It would vibrate like it was catching and then slipping or something.

Anyway, even though it's having all these issues he still decides to drive it and now today the clutch was REALLY messed up. When you press the clutch pedal it squeals like crazy so at this point I say alright, just go get a clutch kit and I'm replacing it all.

I drop the transmission. Remove the pressure plate and clutch. The clutch is to the rivets. We take it to the parts store and get the clutch kit which came with another throwout bearing, thankfully, because the one I just installed a day prior was packed full of clutch material. After we get back I clean off the flywheel, put the clutch in with the alignment tool and bolt the pressure plate to it.

Put the transmission in and get everything back together. Start it up. Press the clutch in and hear the little retainer break off of the slave cylinder. I'm pretty excited at this point so I try to put it in reverse and it pops right in. Everything is perfect. It's fully disengaging and when I ease off the clutch pedal it's nice and smooth. I couldn't be happier after a hard day of work. I drive it around and everything is perfect. Like a brand new jeep.


That is until I'm coasting down a hill in second gear and bam. The clutch slips. Just coasting and the clutch freaking slips. I'm not sure if one of the pads delaminated or what but I quickly press the clutch pedal in and stop. I go to turn around and lo and behold, the clutch is once again not fully disengaging. I can't get it into reverse so I put it into first and take off. Notice that it's once again not engaging smoothly and feels rough. I'm pretty pissed at this point and have no idea what could've happened to cause the clutch to stop disengaging fully. Clearly the slave cylinder it working so I'm thinking the pressure plate is having some sort of issue or something is blocking it from being fully operated. The only positive thing I can say is that it at least didn't start squealing again but I am at a complete loss. What could've possibly happened that the clutch will not disengage properly?

This is on a 1999 jeep cherokee with a 4.0 and I believe and ax15 5 speed tranny. If anyone has any ideas as to why the clutch would fully disengage until it slipped and now it's displaying the same symptoms that it was, please help me.


1999 Jeep Cherokee Clutch Issues

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor