Apartment Garage Mechanic - HELP!! - Not Starting

samedi 24 janvier 2015

Thanks for checking post...



It's been awhile since I've been on here, but I do check my updates.



Ok, here's the situation:

(FYI, but I've learned a ton in the last two years about my Jeep, keep that in mind, intermediate mechanic now.)



Two years ago I had to jumpstart my Jeep a few times during the winter.

I found out that my battery was borderline on the CCA required for the temperatures here (Upstate NY).



So, being that I owned it for 6 years prior, I decided to buy a Red Top Ultima Battery, 1000CC and 850CCA, a Mean Green Alternator, and a Mean Green Starter.



No issues whatsoever for two years electrically.



Well, then my #5 Rod broke, so I then had my engine rebuilt at the dealer.



It wasn't the same after the rebuild, but still in very good condition and overall response in all aspects.



Just recently my Jeep is now not starting.

(Less than 1YR Since Engine Rebuild - 3 YR Warranty on Engine Only)



I have 17 years experience with electronics, so this next section I am certain about.



I checked the voltage on my battery: ~12.2

Originally 12.6



I checked the voltage going to my starter: ~12.2



Performed a parasiditic amp draw on my battery: ~0.2 mA or 0.0002 A



I have cut the old factory battery connectors off and installed new terminal post connections, no corrosion and can be securely fastened to the battery.



I removed the starter to inspect the flywheel teeth and all teeth are good.

I disassembled starter solenoid to inspect.

All internal wiring, magnets, internal contacts, bindings, and spline going to starter are good.

Rotated solenoid manually to make sure starter plunger rotates accordingly.

Pulled starter spline in and out to make sure the plunger is not bound or snagging.

Using a Dremel I polished all connections and posts.



I have checked ALL fuses, behind the glove box and in the PDC.

(Minus two AirBag Fuses)

I have rotated all relays into the Horn slot and tested each one using the Horn.



I have turned on all accessories, lights, wipers, fog lights, stereo, flashers, high beams, turned on interior light, turned on A/C and turned key off and on (x10 atleast).



This was to test the ignition circuit in worst case scenario and voltage draw on battery.

~11.9 in this state - remember - engine not on so no alternator



I then unhooked heater, blower, stereo to rule out any possible shorts coming from those circuits.

(Easy at that point and no harm.)



I then checked voltage going to starter from battery just in case:

12.2V at Starter and 12.2V from Neg. post to Pos. post on battery



I tested the resistance to the starter and it is 0.78ohms (0.71 to 0.88 is spec).



So, it leaves me to believe its the solenoid on the starter, but I'm having a real hard time believing that because it's only been about a year since the new install of the Mean Green Starter, which cost me a pretty penny, but I wanted the best. :)



If anyone has ANY ideas I haven't mentioned or weird stuff they have run into, PLEASE post!

I swear you'll have no judgment by me no matter how stupid it might sound to others.



(I also removed the Clutch Relay during testing to make sure the circuit wasn't shorted and inhibiting the starter relay from switching states. I did my first round of troubleshooting with it in, and still same results. It's back in now.)



Short of smacking the solenoid with a sledgehammer, not sure what else to do and if I go and buy another starter and it doesn't work I'm gonna lose my ****!

:cheers2:




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor