My rear end is making funny noises. Need help figuring out why.

samedi 23 août 2014

So here is the story.

I installed a used S35 kit with a Detroit locker it drove nice and quiet. No gear whine at all. A few months later wear showed up in the locker cogs as ratcheting while driving forward.



When it was installed I used all new bearings on the locker and my pinion with a new crush sleeve.



It made zero noise when I put it up on the lift to tear it apart.



My Fix:



-Took locker out, set all of the parts on my cart the same way they came out.

-Took the locker guts out flipped them over and put it back together

The three center cogs in the picture (ignore the rest, not the same as my locker)



(So when driving forward I would be using the cogs that were originally used in reverse). The locker operation is 100% normal, except it ratchets when I decelerate, which I expected to happen. I'll replace those eventually.

-I put it all back together the same way that it came apart (the orientation of the locker case was not affected by my fix, just the internals).



Immediately after I put it back together I have pretty intense gear whine that gets worse while cornering.



I have pulled it back apart and the mesh pattern seems the same, even swapped the shims around just in case I messed those up and no change.

I'm 100% sure the bearing caps are correct.

I've been back inside of it several times since trying to figure it out and I can't.



The noise ONLY happens under load. If I'm coasting in neutral at any speed it's nearly silent.



What in the world could have gone wrong? I'm tired of the nose and I have to open it up to replace a bent shaft soon anyway. Just want it to be quiet!




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor