Super squeaky new rear brakes

vendredi 29 août 2014

This thread is to share as I'm working through it now. Input appreciated, but I think I have it under control.



Okay, I put new rear brakes on my 84 CJ7, which is not a DD. Stock brakes. Hardware kit, new wheel cylinders and shoes. I had the drums reground.



They squeak really, really bad. Think of the worst bus ever. Initially, it came from the RR. I pulled it, did the sandpaper smoothing with 80 grit and noticed several high/low spots due to seating versus unseated spots. Drove again, still really obnoxious, repeat speedy break in with sandpaper.



So then I took it to work, 44 miles round trip, thinking it would seat them once and for all. No good, it got louder and now noise was coming from both and even more obnoxious.



Pulled both sides apart today and found the LR to have that chatter look as there were about 20 small high/low spot along one of the front shoe. There's the really obnoxious noise as it was a harmonic pattern. The rear on that side looked perfect, but I scuffed it anyway as I did all the others. The RR shoes both had issues, but with only 3 hi/low spots each. More 80 grit.



Jeep is now sitting in the driveway awaiting another round of road testing.



I ordered new drums. But now that I've almost got the shoes to fit, I suspect it'd start this process all over again with proper drums at smaller size with the nearly fitted oversized shoes. So I'm cancelling that order and just going to work this out a few more sanding rounds as needed. I will do a drive tomorrow and evaluate. If they are still squeaky, I'll sand again and back off the starwheel a tick or two as the last drive had them squeaking around the corners.



I was going to back off the starwheel today, but forgot as I was teaching my 6 y/o and put the wheels back on as a training session. I drove my FR-S to work instead just to avoid the aggravation. Tomorrow and the weekend will tell, we'll see.



Hindsight what it is, I should have just bought the new drums. Turning them cost me 80% of one drum. My time at my rate has put me behind. But it's all good and I just need to get my son more involved as he will be a wrench head whether he likes it or not. He will know how to fix things, the jeep is a good conduit for that. And him learning how to cuss properly for that matter.





If you're still with me in today's two sentence attention span, please share any tips or tricks that have made this process smoother if you've had this experience.



Reviewing this, it's apparent new shoes and drums wear from the shoe centers out to the edges. As these, due to the regrinding, are wearing in from the edges into the centers due to mismatched diameters. Never had this issue until now and it's a first. I've had the jeep for 20 years now. About 2-3 sets of brakes have been put on it with no issues.



jeepmor




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor