Rear main seal replacement 304 nightmare-suggestions needed!

samedi 30 août 2014

79 304 th400

Rear main was leaking something awful. So, I get the bright idea to tear it down and replace it. With that being said, I read every thread I could find and started the whole process. Drained oil the day before so it wouldn't be dripping in my face, removed starter, removed oil pan after some grinding on the motor mounts to allow clearance for pan removal. So all is going good so far:thumbsup:. I used wooden dowel to remove old upper seal, came out no problem. Now the fun begins, I try to put new upper seal in. Oiled the lip, made sure I had it turned the right direction, used soap on block side and began TRYING to install:thumbdown:. Did not go well. The first new seal went about halfway in and cut the block side of the seal. Pulled it out, got seal # 2 out of the jeep(having two on hand to start with because I know my luck and I am working on a jeep:D). Seal #2, slides in about 3/4 of the way and cuts block side of seal.:mad::mad:



So after cussing for an hour or two, I decided I need to ask the experts. What the he#% am I doing wrong. Everything I have read says the biggest problem is getting the old one out. I literally was pushing both seals so hard I thought I was going to tear the skin off my fingers. I was pushing against the seal where it enters the block, and pushing the end of the seals around the bottom of the crank to keep from bending it. Needless to say I had to order another one and it won't be in until tomorrow.



Do I need to loosen more of the bearing caps in order to allow more room?



Is there a considerable crank to block width difference in a new seal and the old one? The original I took out seems to be thinner than the new ones from oreillys. I figurered it was just from the wear over the years but now I am really questioning that thought.



Any advice is definately needed at this point because I am at total loss:confused:!




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor