Valve cover questions

mardi 18 août 2015

I've recently bought a 1981 CJ7 with a 258, and am doing a little work to it. Currently I'm working on a valve cover leak. The PO apparently tried to fix a crumbling valve cover gasket by just adding RTV on top of the bad gasket and reinstalling the plastic valve cover. It goes without saying THAT didn't work... it was leaking like crazy! So, I've removed the valve cover and cleaned everything up, and am preparing to reinstall.

It looks like all of the "plumbing" wasn't on the plastic valve cover. See attached picture. There was a "L" shaped PCV valve in the larger hole to the rear of the valve cover, a rubber plug in the larger hole near the oil fill cap(both highlighted in red), and nothing in the 2 smaller holes in the middle of the cover (highlighted in yellow). My questions are:

1) Based on diagrams I've seen here, I think the PCV should go in the other larger hole, near the oil fill cap. I think I should put a breather filter in the other larger hole where the PCV currently is (rear of the cover). Right?

2) What goes in the 2 smaller holes?

3) Also, in regards to the PCV, I was thinking about replacing it with a new one while I'm at it, but all of the new ones I'm seeing are "T" shaped, whereas this one is "L" shaped. If I go with a new "T" shaped one, where do I connect the other end of the "T"? Or is there an "L" shaped one available that is similar to what is on there currently?

Sorry if this has already been covered. I've searched, but didn't see mention of the difference between the "L" shaped PCV and the "T" shaped one, nor of the 2 smaller holes in the plastic cover. I'm brand spanking new to the CJ community, and am learning as I go.

Thanks in advance. Also, if anyone has any pics of all of this that would be great... I'm a very visual person, and that would help a TON.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150817_185636.jpg (36.4 KB)


Valve cover questions

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor