Jeep fever.

dimanche 16 août 2015

Well, I got bit by the bug, and now I must have one.

I've always admired the Wrangler. Matter of fact, the only way my parents could get me to play with the abundance of Barbie dolls, my aunts and uncles got me, was to get Barbie a Jeep. A white and pink little number, with a friction drive. As I grew up, my eyes got turned to import sports cars. I currently own a Mitsubishi 3000gt non-turbo, and it's twin-turbo cousin, the Dodge Stealth. My current daily (if you can call it that) is a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT.

My current job, is in management for a "big 3" rental car company, which gives me a company car that we pull from the rental fleet, and drive for a week or two, then select another.

Then, in came a Wrangler....

My company doesn't fleet Wranglers. Our Jeep portion of the fleet is small, and consists of base-model Liberty, Patriot, and the occasional Grand Cherokee. This particular specimen (2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sport), was bought used from another "big 3" company, during a high demand period, outside of annual re-fleeting. When it rolled past my maintenance shop, I scooped it up for my company car. I had never driven a Wrangler, until this point.

This thing is fun to drive! I drive current model-year vehicles all the time, and not one has had such an effect on me, that I had to absolutely have one for myself. It just feels formidable, like it can conquer any mountain or mud hole in it's path.

After talking with my older brother, a huge Jeeper, I have narrowed down the Jeep I want.
-TJ, 2000 or later. The JK I'm driving is nice, but a little too comfy/SUV on the inside for me. I want something a bit more utilitarian and rugged. It will be carpet-less and spray lined.
-In-line 4.0
-Manual Transmission
-Sport or Sahara, for the Dana 44
-Hard or soft top doesn't matter, as I will eventually acquire both for year round comfort.
-Trying to stay under 150k miles
-Looking to spend 10k or less. After looking around on Craigslist, this seems to be a possibility in N. FL.

Any tips on finding that diamond? Things to avoid, common issues, flaws to look for?


Jeep fever.

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor