Purchasing '06 w/ potential AC Problem

lundi 24 août 2015

Hello all,
New guy here and possible new Jeep owner. I've found an '06 GC Laredo 3.7L w/81k miles for a fair price. It is being sold at a well known local Mazda dealership. Upon test drive, I found it made an awful squealing noise when the AC was turned on. Besides that, it was clean and I was assured it would be fixed prior to sale. I put some money down for them to hold it for me. Carfax showed a new serp belt installed last week, so I thought maybe it just needs to be tensioned...

Fast forward to today. Went to the dealer to pick it up. Salesman says "good news, it stopped making the noise. The belt just needed to 'wear in'". I didn't buy it, so we went out to the lot and started it again. Sure enough, it squealed immediately. The squeal only occurs when the ac clutch is engaged and it is reduced to a chirp/squeal every few seconds. All of this at engine idle, I didn't try revving the engine to see if the squeal came back. Upon lifting the hood, the squeal/chirp is definitely coming from the AC compressor area. The belt span just south of the AC compressor looked like it flapped around quite a bit when the AC was engaged as well. AC blows cold and cycles as I think it should.

I've used the search function and I'm pretty handy in the garage, so I think I know when the salesmen is feeding me a bunch of BS. Just not familiar with Jeeps. Is there anyway to differentiate a loose belt from possible compressor issues? Any short term fixes I should look for when I return to look at it later this week? I assume they'll try to apply some belt dressing which I'll be able to see. Anything else I should take a look at?

I don't want to be stuck with a compressor replacement if I buy this thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.


Purchasing '06 w/ potential AC Problem

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor