For all of us who want to get an old, tired Jeep back on the road -w/ cost breakdown

lundi 17 août 2015

If you’re like me you’re constantly perusing the classifieds, in search of an old, cheap Jeep that some has given up on. I had a couple XJs; the last one I built my own 3 link and stretched the year, put on 1 tons with spools and 38s, only to realize I really enjoy just cruising the trails I always used to. I still have a certain affinity for XJs, but I wanted a basic, no top, no doors, regular old, throw your stuff in the back, runaround town, short cut through the woods, Wrangler or CJ. I’ve wanted a regular Jeep since I was a kid. I came across an 87 YJ (same age as me) about a year ago on craigslist. It was a 4 cylinder hardtop with 120,000 miles; originally white but now green, black, and white. The guy was tired of messing with it to get it inspectable (NH has vehicle inspections). Basically, it had a few rust holes in the floor, rusty brake lines, and the rear track bar bracket had rusted off the axle and was bouncing around. Otherwise, most everything else seemed to work. It ran a little rough, but ok. I was impressed by the operation of the windshield washer fluid pump functionality. For a thousand bucks I took it home.

Since everyone always wants to know what things cost, I’ve listed a cost breakdown of everything I put into it, except for consumables like sand paper, cut off wheels, etc. Generally, everything is there though. I hope this serves as a motivator to someone losing sight of the end of the tunnel on their project. I picked away at this one off and on for about a year. During that time, I was (and still am) in grad school, started a new job for which I was gone typically 13 hours a day, and got married. So don’t lose sight of that goal to finish your cool project! Anyway, enjoy…

So, what did it all cost??

Jeep 1,000
2.5” RC lift 449.95
RC winch plate 59.95
Shipping for the above 2 69.95
Rust repair plates (eBay) 49.95
Extra misc. sheet metal 22.98
Leaf spring bushings (Ruff Stuff) 40.75
Gas tank skid and straps 224.74
Replacement rear shock mounts 49.98
Herculiner (gallon) 99.99
Rear brake line 41.99
New tires installed 570
(31x10.50x15) Nexen Roadian MT
I sold the old tires and wheels -200
Mirror relocation brackets 27.99
Body Sealer 16.04
New front seatbelts 169.99
New rear seatbelts 51.98
Floor drain plugs 14.90
Exhaust cat flange gasket 4.17
Door entry guards 14.99
New paint (tractor paint + mixing 80.92
Components + some primer)
Bondo 24.99
Misc. hardware 40.93

Total $2,927.13


For all of us who want to get an old, tired Jeep back on the road -w/ cost breakdown

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor