Door lock refurbish

vendredi 27 février 2015

I bought a set of doors from Craigslist the other day. They weren't in the best condition (but it's OK because they're going to get repainted). However, the locks were in super bad condition, the steel had been chipped and was pretty corroded. I just removed everything from the door pannels, so I decided to try to clean up the locks.



I'm just a college student in my dorm room, and it's like midnight. But I had some 600grit sand paper so I started trying to sand down the locks a bit. Then I realized I could probably attach the locks to my drill... I ended up using WD-40 as a lube while sanding, and then I used some dremmel polish (the little red bricks that come with dremmels) to finish it up. Here's some photos of the process and the end result. It's not perfect (there's a dent on the passanger lock that's still visible), and I'm sure it would look even better if I went higher than 600grit (but like I sait, it's all I had). In the end, it's better than I was expecting, and for it not costing my anything, I'm very happy.



All I have left to do is replace the tumblers, which doesn't seem too difficult.



The condition of the locks before hand.



The lock in the drill's chuck.



Here's a comparison with the first one done.



The Dremmel polish applied to the lock.



The final product, after cleaning with alcohol.





0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor