New to jeeps, looking into a ZJ

dimanche 18 mai 2014

Hey all. Been lurking around this forum almost 2 weeks now finally decided to register and bug you guys with some questions haha. I'm looking into buying a Grand Cherokee as a fun weekend/camping/fishing rig. I really don't plan on doing any crazy 4 wheeling or rock crawling. I just want to be confident when I go out exploring, I'm gonna be coming back! My other vehicle is a 2008 Tacoma which I use to haul around my dirt bikes but is only 2 wheel drive. I really love my Tacoma but after almost getting stuck about six inches off the blacktop I really want a 4 wheel drive.



The GC seems like a awesome blend of 4 wheel drive capability and comfort with its leather interior and sunroof! After doing some initial research I've decided on a ZJ GC. Since I wont be commuting (I commute on a motorcycle) or piling up a lot of mileage on it I'm sure I want a V8 for the extra umph but I guess I would be curious to hear peoples opinions who have driven the I6 and how it compares offroad. My plans for this jeep are pretty tame. If I end up with a mostly stock rig I'll probably be content with the basic 2" BB lift and the biggest tires you can cram on there. I have seen a few with 3-4" inch lifts for sale and that would be nice to have someone else have paid for that stuff. Who makes a reasonably priced 3-4 inch lift if I were to get a stock rig and want to go that route?



Most of the rigs I've been looking at are 96-98 V8s. I really like the idea of the 5.9 for the extra torque but they're hard to find and I've heard the rear ends and the transmissions weren't as reliable as the 5.2? What should I be looking out for when I'm going to take a look at these things? By day I'm a mechanic at a Porsche dealer so I'm pretty able but 100% of my wrenching experience is on Porsche vehicles. Been at it almost 11 years but I have basically zero experience working on domestic vehicles.



This will be my first jeep. I'm really excited to get one and get out there. Any thoughts or recommendations you guys have for me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor