new Moser amc 20 axles-bearing failure #2

vendredi 31 juillet 2015

I will try to keep this as brief as possible cause im at wits end. Couple weeks ago posted about my stock 2pc axles that I was able to rock the tires. Determined that possibly my wheel bearings were worn so I decided to upgrade to moser 1pc axles. Got axles delivered, seals and spacers knocked in housing, measured bearing protrusion and had bearings pressed on by reputable local off road shop. Installed driver side axle first then passenger side 2nd. Noticed there was a small gap between the brake backing plates and face of axle housing after bolted together. Figured it wasn't supposed to bolt up flat since bearings stick out from end of housing slighty to set preload.
Bolted tires back on and happen to attemp to spin the passenger tire and it was very difficult to turn by hand. Was thinking maybe after it spins a few times it would seat and turn better. Dropped it down off jack bleed brakes. Went to back out off shop and the passenger side that was hard to turn started screeching. Backed up and back four to five times and it stopped. Drove down road about mile without any noise came back and jacked it up to spin tire to see if it was still tight and you could rock the tire as before but it spun freely. Driver side tire also rocked but was difficult to turn. Took apart the passenger side and rollers from the bearing fell all over floor. Took driver side apart and the bearing came apart after I got it out housing and pulled outside race off. Was confused about what went wrong and posted about how tight the axle seal retainer was supposed to be because I thought I had over torqued the bolts holding on the backing plate crushing the bearings. Didn't call moser about it cause I thought it was my fault for over tightening the axle retainer bolts. Ordered a new bearing kit for both sides from moser. Was told by another jeep forum member about removing the thrust block from the carrier. Removed the thrust block before the new bearings arrived. Inspected ends of moser shafts and the were about 1/16" out of square on the end of spline and there was a wear circle around the center drilled hole on both shafts where it looked like it had rubbed the thrust block on both sides. So that made sense that I installed driver side first pushing thrust block towards passenger side and it bottomed out the thrust block making the passenger tire hard to turn. So I was at conclusion that unsquare ends of shaft bottoming out of thrust block caused me to preload the bearings to tight. Got new bearings delivered and rechecked bearing protrusion. Decided to use same inner seals and bearing spacers that I had initially put in housing because they were ok. Got old bearings pressed off and new seals and bearings pressed on by same shop. Installed them last night everything went together good except when the driver side axle was bolted in there was a little in and out play when pulling on wheel studs. The passenger side had no in and out free play. Bolted tires on. They spun free like they were suppose to but both tires had the rocking back and forth when you grab top and bottom of tire. It was just like it was before I ever changed anything when I had the 2pc axles. WTF? I removed tires and tightened the axle bolts a little more thinking maybe I needed more load to seat the bearings. Put tires back on and they still rocked. Thought about it for a few minutes and wondered if the bores in the ends of the housing were loose from years of use since it was like that before. Didn't think I had done anything wrong so I dropped it down and backed out of shop without any screeching. Went down road and didn't get 1/4 mile and the driver side screeched and the jeep shifted when it felt like it locked up. Limped home jacked up and that tire was hard to spin. Bearing failure again. Im at a loss and don't know what to do. Am I tightening the axle bolts too tight? Should I call moser engineering? Im exhausted. This was suppose to be an easy job. Please help me.


new Moser amc 20 axles-bearing failure #2

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor