Dana 30 Wheel Bearing Failure

mercredi 24 décembre 2014

In the "by the Grace of God" category I bring you these pictures and this story.



Had the Jeep up on the lift and noticed the right front tire was "wobbly". I had the tire off the day before and thought I had forgotten to tighten the lug nuts. Nope, not that simple. Pulled the tire and was met with this.







Notice something missing? Like the ENTIRE rotor?? I have no idea where it is, if it hit someones car when it failed, or why I am not dead on the side of the road.







Pulled it apart a little more:







Bearings totally disintegrated.









Parts list so far:

Spindle

Axle Stub

Hub

Rotor

Lock out hubs

Assorted bearings and seals



Going to rebuild the other side while I am at it. Also replacing the u-joints in the axle shafts "while it's apart". About $1200 in parts (Merry Christmas to me). (Wife hasn't seen the bill yet, so stay tuned for a post about my upcoming divorce). Shout out to the folks at Morris 4X4 for having it all in stock and getting it to me next day shipping. Really nice people.:2thumbsup:



Don't know the exact cause but I'm sure it was related to the master cylinder replacement I did to support rear disks on the AMC 20. My guess is the added pressure from the new master cylinder caused the piston to seize on the rotor and the heat build up caused it to fail. The rest of the damage is "collateral" to that.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor