1992 MJ 4.0 Cranks but won't start after clutch job

dimanche 27 avril 2014

Hi all, new to the forum but I've been learning from you guys for as long as I've had my jeep. I am aware there is an MJ forum, but this issue isn't necessarily specific to the body type and I hope more people will see it here. Onto the problem:



My truck is a 1992 Jeep Comanche, 4.0 6 cyl with the AX15 transmission and sadly, 2 wheel drive. Sitting around 270k miles.



I recently had my master cylinder go out, and decided to do the master cylinder, internal slave, clutch, and flywheel all in one fell swoop. Definitely a learning experience. Got everything back together and bled by myself and the jeep cranked but wouldn't start.



Did some research and saw it might be the crankshaft positioning sensor (the one on the bellhousing) so I got a replacement from Autozone and tried that. Still cranks, no start.



Saw some threads that suggested it might be a mismatched flywheel, and being an idiot, I hadn't actually eyed them up before installing to see if they matched. Dropped the tranny again and reinstalled the old flywheel (which was in fine condition, as was the clutch and slave, but figured I might as well do it all at once). Turns out the new flywheel was slightly different but shouldn't have been enough to cause problems (few thou thicker, timing notches were a hair wider). At least I cut my time in quarter the second time!



Anyways, put it back together, tossed the old cps back in for fun, still cranks but no start. By this point I've bumped both of them while removing/installing the transmission, but I think the autozone part might have been DOA. Going to try to get an OEM replacement for it tomorrow.



So right now it's got a new clutch and master/slave cylinders, but the old flywheel and cps. The clutch has great pressure, but it's running into this starting issue.



Battery is strong. I don't have a gauge to check fuel pressure but I hear the whine and the plugs have some gas on them if I try to start it and then pull one out. I've replaced the spark plugs. I've checked for secondary spark and it seems strong. It won't start with starter fluid.



So is it likely that I've just had bad luck with the autozone cps and that is likely my problem? Did I possibly mess up something a novice wouldn't know about? The crankshaft rotated while I was loosening the flywheel bolts, but since the flywheel only goes on in one position, that shouldn't have affected anything, right? I also heard it might have been the camshaft position sensor, in the distributor cap, so perhaps this starting issue is just bad timing (as in it happened at the same time, but isn't related to working on the clutch?)



I've checked all my fuses. Some brake fluid got onto the interior fuse box, but I cleaned it up as best I can and everything else electric works. The truck sat for about 3 weeks before I was able to tear into it, if that matters, and the oil is fairly low right now from sitting (just touching the dipstick). Never had a problem before.



I'm at wit's end and I really need my truck for work. I'd take it to a shop, but I can't really afford much more. Thanks for any advice you can offer.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor