1999 XJ Problems

mardi 15 avril 2014

Hi everyone. My brother in law has a 99 XJ that he has been having problems with. It has the 4.0 and is an automatic, had 150,000 miles or so last time I checked. This weekend he asked for some help working on it. I have known the Jeep for probably 10 years (owned by my sister), and I will admit it was never properly maintained. Right now he has very little money (his own fault) and doesn't understand that a can of Sea Foam won't fix it.



I can tell you he is one of the least mechanical people I have ever met. Everyone wants to see the Jeep running decent so it can get him to work and school somewhat reliably but he simply doesn't understand the concept of trouble shooting and sticking with it until you solve the problem. I am fairly mechanical but in all honesty my experience is limited.



The truck has had the following done recently:

- Plugs and Wires

- Idle Air Control(?) replaced(The thing that looks like a little pecker as Chris says)

- Throttle Body cleaned

- Sea Foam Treatment, TWICE (Rolling eyes)



Those are the things I can think of off the too of my head.



Right now when you start it up it idles up and down between 500 and 600 rpms. When it idles down it gives itself a little throttle to stay running. I don't know where these typically idle but it seems low to me. I got it at 700 steady after it warmed up. It seems to smooth out after it is warmed up. It doesn't feel like a miss, but it runs rough like its stuttering unless you give it some throttle.



It is probably important that I tell you he has had battery/charging problems, mostly his dumb *** let it die. It also has no exhaust I believe past the muffler from an accident over the winter (it ran like this before though). It also has a major squeal in the belt on a cold startup or when the AC is running, which I believe is mostly a tension problem.



Does this problem sound like an 02 Sensor or maybe a Throttle Position Sensor? I also considered a crank sensor or something not functioning correctly but it doesn't seem like that to me. I have no idea if the injectors have been screwed with or not but I believe they haven't.



It also has no warning lights on. I'm going to check and see if it has any codes next time I can work on it.



I just need some components to look at and a place to start. Maybe someone will chime in and say they had a similar problem. I appreciate any help in advance.



Austin




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor